Friday, October 24, 2008

Hunger for That Which Fills


"He humbled you, causing you to hunger, and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord." (Deut 8:3)
Thank you, LORD, for the daily feeding regimen.  When I depart from it, I hunger!  The Living Water feeds us such that we will never be thirsty again, yet we hunger and thirst for righteousness.  Filled and hungry at the same time.
"Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry..." (Phil 4:12)
My son spoke to me of an unexpected ministry that has sprung up for him and for my lovely daughter-in-law.  They say grace before their meals.  When they eat in the company of their peers, friends, colleagues, this becomes remarkable since most of their generation do not revere God.  So to witness this Godly couple in their midst gives them pause, first to reexamine their idea of what a Christian looks like, and second to become aware of the presence of God.
On one occasion, my son was at lunch with a friend.  The friend was paying, so my son did not consider it his place to take authority at the table and say grace.  He may have done so inwardly, but just dove in to his meal.  The friend was shocked, stopped him and asked, perplexed, "Aren't you going to do that grace thing?"  This precious soul had already developed a hunger for worship, just from seeing the example of it in giving thanks for food.

No comments: